How to Apply for a Passport Online?
Several essential things that you should know about passport are mentioned in this blog. We can summarize out -
- What is a Passport?
- Types of passports and their uses
- Eligibility to apply for a passport
- How to apply for a Passport?
- Documents required for applying for a passport online
- List of acceptable documents
- Police verification process
- What is the passport fee in India?
- How to track your passport application status in India?
- Reasons for denying a passport application
- What should I do if my passport is lost or stolen?
- Difference between Reissue and Renewal of Passports
- Procedure for Passport renewal
- Documents required for renewal of the passport
- Causes for passport reissue
- Passport reissue application
- Documents required for passport reissue
- How much time does it take to issue a tatkal passport?
- What is ECR?
- What is ECNR?
- Top 10 countries that required a visa
- Top 10 countries to visit without a visa
Passport is the most important document if you are planning to travel abroad. It has become easier to head overseas for a honeymoon, business or profession, tourism or for higher education. If it is your dream to travel overseas, you must have a valid passport to prove your citizenship. It is a very strong national identity proof. You can easily apply passport online. If you have already got your passport then congrats! Else, go through below details for gathering A to Z information, from applying a new passport to passport verification, passport renewal and receiving it in your hand. In this context, it is necessary to mention the Visa. It is an authorization that permits a foreigner to visit the country for a certain period of time may be 3 months, 1 year or 3 years.
So first, let’s get into the details.
“What is a Passport”?
To enter into any other country other than the one you are living in, you need to show your identity and nationality to them. A passport is the only medium to prove the same. Every country has its own policies to issue the Passport.
Due to increasing globalization, the government of India is also providing a legal document i.e. passport to visit abroad following the “Passport Act 1967”, in which they may allow you any of the below passport or travel document as per your requirements and eligibility:
Passport or Travel Documents Issued by the Government of India under Passport Act 1967: -
- Ordinary Passport
- Diplomatic Passport
- Official Passport
- Emergency Certificate &
- Certificate of Identity
What are the types of passports and their uses?
Mainly there are 3 types of the passports issued by Indian Passport Authority:-
1. Regular Passport
The regular passport is covered in navy blue color and is issued for general purposes like ordinary travels, business meetups, vacation, tourism, honeymoon & family trip, higher education, job & other professional trips.
2. Diplomatic Passport
The Diplomats Passport is covered in maroon color and is issued to the top-ranking government officials, Indian diplomats and diplomatic couriers.
3. Official Passport
The Official Passport is covered in white color & is issued to the individuals representing the Indian government on official business.
State the eligibility parameters required for applying for the passport in India?
Let’s check if you are eligible or not for applying for a passport in India:
- You should be an Indian citizen
- You have all the required documents
- You don’t have any criminal background. You aren’t involved in any criminal cases directly or indirectly.
How to apply for a Passport?
There are two ways to apply for a passport:-
How to apply for a Passport Offline?
Step 1: Applying for passport offline is simple; you need to visit the nearest Passport Seva Kendra (PSK) along with your all original & photocopy of the required documents such as Aadhaar card, Residential Proof, Date of Birth Proof, Passport size photographs.
Step 2: Ask them for the application form and fill it carefully. Make sure to write all the spellings and details correctly.
Step 3: Submit the form along with documents & fee at the passport office. And then ask the officers about the police verification and further process to get the passport in your hand.
It normally takes 3 to 4 weeks to complete the process and get your passport.
But sometimes, it depends on the number of queued applications & urgency.
Apply for a passport online
Register through the Passport Seva Online Portal.
Login to the Passport Seva Online Portal with the registered Login Id.
Click "Apply for Fresh Passport/Re-issue of Passport" link.
Fill in the required details in the form and submit for Passport login.
Click the "Pay and Schedule Appointment" link on the "View Saved/Submitted Applications" screen to schedule an appointment.
Online Payment has been made mandatory for booking appointments at all Passport Seva Kendras/Passport Offices.
Online Payment can be made using any one of the following modes:
Click the "Print Application Receipt" link to print the application receipt containing Application Reference Number (ARN)/Appointment Number.
Note: An SMS with your appointment details is also accepted as proof of appointment during your visit to Passport Office.
Visit the Passport Seva Kendra (PSK)/Regional Passport Office (RPO) where appointment has been booked, along with original documents.
Your passport may be delivered in next 5 to 10 days at your permanent address given in the form.
There are two options to apply for the passport but we will personally suggest you apply passport online because in the online process you don’t need to stand in a long queue at the passport Seva Kendra.
Documents required to apply for passport online for an adult:-
- Date of Birth Proof: You can attach Birth Certificate else the mark sheet or certificate of your 10th standard/ matriculation.
- Identity Proof with Photograph: You can carry any of the documents such as Voter ID, driving license, Aadhar Card, bank passbook or more.
- Proof of Residence: The ID’s must include your permanent address such as Aadhar Card, Driving License, or more.
- Proof of Nationality: You can carry Voter ID Card, Driving License, PAN Card, Aadhar Card or any other supporting document
Documents required to apply for passport online for a minor: -
- In case of minor applicants, you can attach your address proof which carries the name of the parents.
- If the process is being followed by the parents then they are required to carry his/ her passport to the nearest Passport Seva Kendra (PSK).
- As per Passport Authority, the minor applicant until he/ she attains the age of 18, is eligible for Non-ECR.
- Parents can attest all the required documents in case of minor applicants.
ECR stands for Emigration Check Required
ECNR stands for Emigration Check Not Required.
Documents required to apply for passport online for an adopted child:
- Valid adoption deed registered as per Indian laws
- If you belong to Muslims, Christians, or a Parsi religion, you need to show the court order granting guardianship wherein it is mentioned that you are allowed to take the child out of the country.
- Copy of the guarantee executed before the court concerned.
List of acceptable documents
As per the Passport Issuance Authority of India, you can use any of the combinations of documents listed below:
- Birth Certificates (Issued under the RBD Act)
- Aadhaar Card
- Election Commission Photo ID card, also known as Voter ID Card or Electors Photo Identity Card (EPIC)
- PAN Card
- Income Tax Assessment Order
- Driving Licenses (Within the jurisdiction of State of submission of application & it must not an expired one)
- Telephone (landline or monthly rentals mobile bill)
- Arm Licenses
- Electricity bill
- Water Bill
- Proof of Gas Connection
- Ration Cards
- Kisan/ Post Office Passbooks
- SC/ST/ OBC Certificates
- Certificate of matriculation
- Mark sheet of matriculation
- Rent Agreement (Ref. Link https://portal2.passportindia.gov.in/AppOnlineProject/pdf/CIR_0169918_Y.pdf)
- Photo Passbook of running Bank Account registered under Reserve Bank of India.
The following type of Bank’s Account is eligible to submit the documents:
A. Public Sector Banks
B. Regional Rural Bank
C. Scheduled Private Banks
19. Certificate from Employer-provided by a private limited company on letterhead. Email copy or computerized print-outs will not be entertained.
20. Service Photo Identity Card issued by Central / State Government, Public Limited Companies, Public Sector Undertakings or local bodies
21. Pension Documents such as Pension Payment order/ ex-servicemen's Pension Book, ex-servicemen's Dependent/ Widow Certificates, Widow Pension Order, Old Age Pension Order
22. Spouse's passport copy (Must included the family details along with the proof of your spouse)
23. Student Photo Identity Cards of full-time courses issued by Government Recognized Educational Institutions only
24. Photocopy of first and last page of parent's passport copy, in case of minors
Police Verification Process
After successfully completing your passport application & document verification, you will have to go through the Police Verification Process for Passport. Usually, you will get notified for the Police Verification Process just after 4-5 days of submitting the form. If you do not get notified then you can go to your nearest police station and ask them about your verification process.
It is a formality of verifying your authenticity and documents. You can check passport status after the completion of this process.
Why is it mandatory to go through the Police Verification process for issuance of passport?
The process of police verification ensures that the right individual is being issued the passport and it does not go into the hands of a wrong individual.
What is the Passport Fee in India?
- For a new normal passport with 36 pages, you need to pay Rs. 1500/- fee amount
- For a new normal passport with 60 pages, you need to pay Rs. 2000/- fee amount
- For a new tatkal passport with 36 pages, you need to pay Rs. 3500/- fee amount
- For a new tatkal passport with 60 pages, you need to pay Rs. 4000/- fee amount
- For passport reissue with 36 pages, you need to pay Rs. 1500/- fee amount
- For a passport reissue with 60 pages, you need to pay Rs. 2000/- fee amount
For any further query regarding the passport fee, please visit the fee calculator section of the official website of Passport Seva (Click Here)
How to Track Your Passport Application Status in India?
- After completing the passport application with all document formalities, you will get a file number. Keep the number in front of you.
- Open (https://portal1.passportindia.gov.in/AppOnlineProject/statusTracker/trackStatusInpNew) and select “Passport/ PCC/ IC/ GEP” as your application type.
- Enter the Date of Birth as per given in your documents
- Now click on “Track Status” to see the update of your application
- You can also track the status by navigating manually. For doing so, please open the official site of Passport Seva and click on “Track Application Status” given in first fold of the website. It will redirect you to the Passport Status tracking page.
State the reasons for denying Passport Application?
- Missing documents
- Blurred Scan Copy
- Non-consistency of the signatures across all documents
- You are applying to another state than you reside
- Having any criminal record or involved indirectly into it
- Having outstanding loans or unpaid taxes
What Should I Do If My Passport Is Lost or Stolen?
No matter the reason for losing your passport, follow the below guidelines to get a new one:-
- Inform your nearest police station as soon as possible after your passport has been lost or stolen.
- If your passport is lost abroad, you must apply for an “Emergency Certificate" contacting their passport authority and then come back to India for re-issue of your passport.
- After following the above steps, apply for reissue of a passport and for the same, you can visit any one of your nearest Passport Seva Kendra (PSK). It is not mandatory to visit the same branch from where you had got your passport earlier
- If you want to apply online then please scroll down to see the process to apply for reissue of a passport online.
Difference between Reissue and Renewal of Passports
A lot of people get confused between the renewal of a passport and reissue of a passport. It is important to understand the difference between two and then identify the cause for each. Both the process has a different procedure and documentation requirement.
The renewal of a passport is carried out when the validity of the present passport has expired.
A passport is reissued when your current passport has expired or is about to expire, it is lost or stolen, has run out of pages, is damaged and in case of a change in your personal details. For renewal of the passport, your present passport is given to you as a renewed passport and in case of reissue, a new passport is provided.
Procedure for passport renewal
The passport comes with a timeline and in case of its expiry, you need to carry out the process of passport renewal. A passport is valid for 10 years in India and you need to renew it after every 10 years. There is an online and offline renewal process that you need to follow.
Online renewal of the passport
Follow the below-mentioned steps to renew your passport online.
- Visit the official website of Passport Seva and create an account on it. Click on ‘New User? Register Now’ for passport login.
- If you are already a member, you need to login using the ‘Existing user? Login’.
- Choose the passport office that is closest to your address.
- Fill in the basic details like your name and date of birth. Now create an ID and password.
- You will receive an activation link on your email address.
- You can now activate the account using this link in your email.
- After you have signed in to your account, you can click on the ‘Re-issue of passport’ tab.
- Now fill in the form and click on Validate in order to save a copy of the form.
- Upload the form and click on Submit. It is advisable to verify all the details before you submit the form.
- You will now have to schedule an interview according to the available slots.
- In order to book an appointment, click on ‘Pay and Schedule Appointment’ and choose a date from the available ones.
- After you have selected a slot, you will be directed to a payment gateway and you will have to make an online payment. Depending on the type of application you have made, the fee will differ.
- Choose from Internet banking, SBI Bank challan, Credit/ Debit card (VISA and MasterCard).
- Once you make the payment, print the application receipt and carry it with you when you go for the interview.
- Carry your original documents and the application receipt at the Passport Seva Kendra on the day of your appointment.
Necessary documents for passport renewal
Depending on the type of passport renewal (Tatkal/ Regular) and the age of the applicant, the documentation will vary. In order to get your passport renewed, you need to provide certain documents at the Passport Seva Kendra. The general documentation required for all applications is listed below.
- Original old Passport
- Self-attested copy of the ECR/Non-ECR page.
- Self-attested copy of the page of observation, if any, made by the Passport Issuing Authority.
- Self-attested copies of the first two and last two pages of the passport.
- Self-attested copy of the validity extension page, if any, with respect to the Short Validity Passport (SVP)
- Proof of documents that eliminate the cause of issuance of Short Validity Passport (SVP).
Causes for reissue of passport
You can apply for a reissue of a passport for any of the below mentioned reasons.
- The validity of the passport has expired or will expire within three years,
- You have exhausted the passport pages
- There is a change in personal details like name, address, and date of birth.
- Your passport has expired for more than three years.
- Your passport is damaged or soiled due to any reason.
- The passport is lost. In this case, you need to file an FIR at a police station and submit it with the application for reissue of the passport.
Passport reissue application
In order to make an application for a reissue of the passport, you need to visit the Passport Seva website. Here you can download the e-form from the tab, ‘Forms and Affidavits’. You will be redirected to a new page where you will have to select if you want a new passport or a reissue of a passport.
Online application for passport reissue
Follow the below-mentioned steps to make an online application for passport reissue.
- Log in to https://portal2.passportindia.gov.in/AppOnlineProject/welcomeLink.
- Register an account on this page.
- Click on ‘Passport type’ and fill the details like type of application, name, number of pages in the booklet, etc.
- Schedule an appointment with Passport Seva Kendra by clicking on ‘View submitted applications.’
- Now click on pay and choose a method of payment.
- Also, choose the Passport Seva Kendra in your area.
- Click on ‘Next’.
- Make the payment and book your appointment.
- You will see a receipt.
- Take a print out of the receipt and carry it with you at the time of appointment.
- The passport office will decide if there is a need for police verification or not. It differs from case to case. If your details and the reason for reissue is appropriate, there might not be a need for police verification.
Documents Required For Reissue Of Passport
Here is a list of documents that are necessary for passport reissue.
- Identity proof: A legal and recognized document that contains your full name.
- Age proof: A document that confirms your date of birth is also required to be submitted. You can use a Birth Certificate here.
- Address proof: Document that confirms where you reside.
- Photographs: You are required to submit 2 recent passport sized photographs while applying for passport reissue.
- Old passport booklet: You need to submit the expired passport booklet before availing a new passport.
- Self-attested copy of first and last pages of booklet: You need to submit self-attested copies of the first two and last two pages of the old passport booklet.
- Appointment application receipt: If an appointment with the Passport Seva Kendra has been booked online, you need to submit a printout of the final page that confirms the payment, time, and date of appointment.
How much time does it take to issue a Tatkal Passport?
You can get a Tatkal passport in case of an emergency. The process is the same as applying for a new passport. You get the tatkal passport within 2-3 days in your hand. The Tatkal Passport follows quick verification and super-fast processing throughout the steps. It also works faster because the officers skip the police verification and do it later after the issuance of passport.
What is ECR?
ECR stands for Emigration Check Required. It is a process to prevent exploitation in foreign countries from illegal activities such as human trafficking, sexual exploitation, children and other uneducated men for the exploitation of their labor.
What is ECNR?
ECNR stands for Emigration Check Not Required. If you are a well-educated person and eligible to earn your livelihood then you will automatically come under this ECNR category and you don’t need to bother for this process.
Top 10 countries that require a visa
- United States of America
- United Kingdom
- South Africa
- New Zealand
Top 10 Countries to visit without a visa
- Hong Kong
For any other query related to passport application process, please visit the official site of Passport Seva or ask your query in the comment section below. We would be more than happy to help you out in providing authentic and proper information