DigiLocker – Say Goodbye to Physical Documents
DigiLocker is an online platform available on websites and mobile apps to every Indian citizen to store and access authentic documents, such as Aadhaar card, PAN card, marksheets, birth certificate, driving license etc., in digital format. DigiLocker provides electronic storage space to each user to store a scanned copy of all their documents.
Since the data is stored in the cloud, DigiLocker does away with the need to carry physical documents all the time, and you don’t need to worry about losing documents. You can access scanned copies of your documents anywhere you want. You can also self-attest scanned documents using e-signature facility.
Features and benefits of DigiLocker
With DigiLocker, you can enjoy a host of benefits. The following are some of the significant benefits.
- Safe storage for documents: Retrieving lost documents can be a very tedious task. DigiLocker provides secure storage for your documents. You can use DigiLocker to avoid the risk of losing or damaging your important documents.
- No need to carry physical documents: As most government agencies treat e-copies of documents in the DigiLocker as valid documents on a par with the original ones, you don’t need to carry physical documents all the time. So now you can easily carry the scanned copies of your documents on your mobile phone using DigiLocker.
- Mobile authentication-based signup: DigiLocker provides an account in the cloud to every individual to store and access his documents. This personal account is linked to a user’s Aadhaar number and mobile number and secured by sophisticated technology.
- Less paperwork: Since the documents can be shared online, DigiLocker reduces or eliminates the need for paperwork required during the documentation in government agencies.
- Reduction in administrative cost: DigiLocker reduces the manpower required to manage and safeguard a pile of documents. DigiLocker also reduces the resources like paper and space required for administrative work. As a result, it brings down the administrative cost incurred by the government.
You can get a DigiLocker account with your mobile number. Take the following steps to register for DigiLocker.
- Step 1: Go to the registration platform of DigiLocker or download the DigiLocker from the Google Play store.
- Step 2: Provide your mobile number and click on ‘Continue’.
- Step 3: You will receive an OTP (One Time Password) on your mobile number.
- Step 4: Enter the OTP and click on the ‘Verify’ button.
- Step 5: Create a username and password for your DigiLocker account.
- Step 6: Your DigiLocker account will be created successfully.
- Step 7: Enter your 12-digit Aadhaar number to access services and click on the ‘Submit’ button.
- Step 8: You will receive an OTP on your mobile number linked to Aadhaar.
- Step 9: Enter this OTP to create your DigiLocker account.
- Step 10: You will be successfully able to Login to your DigiLocker account
How it works?
You will need to sign up with your mobile number and sync the DigiLocker account with your Aadhaar number. Now you can upload and e-sign documents. Then you can start sharing the e-signed documents.
DigiLocker storage has the following sections:
My Certificate: All the documents uploaded and received are saved in My Certificates. It has two sections - Digital Documents and Uploaded Documents. Digital Documents stores the URLs of all documents received from government agencies. While Uploaded Documents has all the documents uploaded by the account holder.
My Profile: It shows a user’s complete profile fetched from the UIDAI database.
My Issuer: My Issuer contains the lists of all issuers who issued documents to account holders and the lists of documents issued by the account holders.
My Requestors: My Requestors shows the name of all requestors and the number of files requested and received by the user.
Directories: This section displays all registered issuers and requestors.
How to upload documents to DigiLocker account
DigiLocker helps you secure important documents such as Aadhaar, PAN card, and educational mark sheets. Once your DigiLocker is successfully created, you can avail of additional services using your Aadhaar number. Take the following steps to sign into a digital locker account and upload documents.
Step 1: Click on ‘Sign In’ at the top of the page
Step 2: Log in via any of the three available options:
Enter the Aadhaar number and the OTP. Click on Verify OTP.
Enter the username and password provided during account creation. Click on the Sign In button.
Enter Facebook ID and Password. Click on ‘Log In’ button.
Step 3: After signing into DigiLocker account, click on Upload Documents.
Step 4: Click on the ‘Upload’ button to start uploading your documents in the DigiLocker. Multiple documents can be uploaded at a time.
Step 5: To assign a document type to your uploaded files, click on ‘Select Doc Type’. Choose the document type from the drop-down list and click on the ‘Save’ button to save the file. Users can edit the name of the file using the ‘Edit’ icon.
Are documents secure and confidential in DigiLocker?
Many safety measures are implemented to make sure your account is safe. Here is how your DigiLocker account is secured.
- DigiLocker implements standard software development practice which involves uniform coding; every tool is inspected and tested internally to ensure security.
- DigiLocker is protected with 256-bit secure socket layer (SSL) Encryption, which is one of the most secure encryption methods.
- Every transaction made through DigiLocker needs Aadhaar biometric or mobile authentication via OTP.
- DigiLocker is ISO 27001 certified and uses mobile authentication-based sign up via OTP application.
- DigiLocker account can’t be accessed through public Wi-Fi or hotspot.
- All documents are shared only after the user authorizes the transaction.
- DigiLocker has a security audit certificate from renowned security audit companies. Moreover, it conducts a security audit from time to time to ensure there is no security breach.
DigiLocker is a key initiative taken by the Government of India under its flagship program, Digital India. Through Digital India, the Government of India aims at transforming India into a digitally empowered society and knowledge economy. DigiLocker is a cloud-based platform for issuance and verification of documents and certificates in a digital way. Not only it removes the need to carry physical documents everywhere, but users can e-sign them and share with government agencies as valid documents on a par with the original ones.