How to Check EPF Balance?
How to Check Employee Provident Fund Balance?
Everyone understands the importance of savings towards leading a happy and peaceful life. Saving in a calculated and timely manner will help you to accumulate enough wealth so that you can have a safe life, once you are retired.
Saving in the Employee Provident Fund or EPF is one of the best savings instruments with yields good returns. This savings tool for the Indian workforce is being managed by the Employees Provident Fund Organisation (EPFO) under the provisions of Employees' Provident Funds and Miscellaneous Provisions Act, 1952
An employee enrolled in the EPF scheme needs to pay a fixed percentage of his basic pay to the EPF. His employer also makes an equal contribution. The employee receives the amount accumulated into the fund, plus the interest accrued, upon retirement or 2 months after switching his job. The interest rate for EPF was hiked to 8.65% before the 2019 elections.
Go through this blog to know in details -
Steps to login to EPFO Member Portal
EPFO has now come up with a digital platform which makes applying for withdrawal and tracking of your PF status very easy. Employees are given access to their EPF balance through this platform so that they can check balance online and avail a loan against their accumulated balance.
How to log in to the EPF portal for the first time?
Once you are enrolled in a new job, you will be provided with a set of user Id and passwords. Once your account is activated, you can log in to the EPF portal through the following steps-
- Open the EPF portal
- Provide the necessary details on the registration page.
- Once the registration process is completed, you can log on to the portal.
- You will be asked if you want to login through your PAN. If you registered using your PAN card, select PAN number from the ‘Select Any One Document’ drop-down box
- Enter your PAN number.
- Once you finish- an authorization PIN will be sent to you.
- With the authorization PIN you will be registered as a member on the EPF portal.
How to do EPFO Login with UAN number?
You will need the Universal Account Number (UAN) to do Online pf balance check on the portal. Therefore, do make sure that your employer has activated your UAN number. This is a 12-digit unique number allotted to every employee by the Employees Provident Fund Organisation (EPFO). Every employee is allotted with only one UAN number in his entire lifetime, even if he changes the companies he works for.
Once you have been assigned the UAN number, you can activate your account on the EPF member portal and can also log in using this number.
Just do the following steps to log in to the EPFO portal using your UAN number:
- Open the EPFO website
- Go to the Login EPFO page. It will look like this-
- Enter the UAN number and password you received while activating the UAN number.
- Enter the captcha as appears in the box.
- Click the enter key/ log in button to log in to your EPF account.
How can you check pf Balance India?
You can now check your EPF statement anytime, without waiting for your employer to provide the details at the end of every year. You can check epf balance India using both online and offline methods.
- Through EPF Portal
- Through the Umang mobile app
- By sending SMS
- Through missed call service
We will discuss all these 4 methods in the following sections-
A). Check member balance online on the EPFO login portal
1. Go to EPFO official website
2. Go to ‘OUR SERVICE’ section, and from the drop-down menu, choose the ‘FOR EMPLOYEES’ option from the drop-down menu.
3. From the service menu, choose the ‘MEMBER PASSBOOK’ option.
4. You will be redirected to the login page for your passbook. Enter your UAN and password
5. Upon successful login, you can access your EPF account. Here you will find all the Member IDs with your UAN.
6. Choose the appropriate member ID to check your current passbook.
7. Once you click the member ID of the EPF account for which you want to check balance online, the passbook will appear on the screen.
While doing Online pf balance check on the EPF portal, do note the following points:
- You can have access to this part of the portal only when your UAN number is activated and you are registered with your UAN on the Member Portal. Thus, you can check pf balance UAN number with this.
- The passbook will have the latest entries reconciled by the EPFO field offices.
- In case you modify anything on the site, the same will get reflected within 6 hours.
- Your EPF account will be non-operational if there have been no contributions at all to your account for a minimum period of three years.
- Members exempted and members having an inappropriate account will not be able to view their passbook on the portal.
B). Checking the balance through the Umang App
The Electronic & IT Ministry has developed the Umang App to merge different Government services. This app can also be used to access all the information related to your EPFO account, by following the below-mentioned procedures-
- Download the Umang app from the App Store or Google Play Store
- Go to the homepage of the app. Click the EPFO option under the head ‘ Employee Centric Services’
- Enter the UAN ID and click on the ‘GET OTP’ option. One OTP will be sent to your registered mobile number.
- Enter the OTP and click on the epfo login.
- Choose the member ID of the company for which you want to check epf balance India
- Now click on the VIEW PASSBOOK and check balance online here.
- The entire information will be displayed on the screen.
C). Check the Employee Provident Fund balance using SMS
If you are not accustomed to the digital mode of the check pf Balance India, you can use this offline method. To use this method, do make sure to register your mobile number. After this, you need to type a message in the following format and send to 7738299899.
The message should be sent in the format- EPFOHO UAN ENG
This example will make things clear. Let us suppose your UAN is 123456789102 and you have opted to receive a message in English. Then you should type the message as EPFOHO 123456789102ENG. The first three letters of your preferred language should constitute the last three letters of your message. If your preferred language is Hindi, then the last three letters will be HIN
At present, the EPFO SMS facility is available in the following languages:
You should also have active UAN with Bank Account, PAN and Aadhaar card to access your EPFO account. Please sync your UAN with PAN and Aadhaar to have uninterrupted access to the desired information on the EPFO portal.
D). Checking Balance by Miss Call
This is the easiest way to check the balance of your EPFO account in India. All you have to do is to give a miss call on 011-22901406. You will receive an SMS providing you the desired information. But prior to that, you must consider the following:
- You must have an activated UAN to get information from the EPFO portal
- Your mobile number must be registered
- Make sure to give the missed call from your registered mobile number only. Calls from any other number will not be entertained
- Your UAN must be integrated to with your KYC details
Frequently Asked Questions
Q. Is UAN a must to check the balance in your EPFO login account?
Reply- Yes, it is a must to have UAN to check pf balance India.
Q. What happens if I forget the password for EPFO login account?
In case you forget your EPF portal password, you can reset the same by following the below mentioned steps:
- Click the forget password option below the login button.
- Submit the basic details as requested
- After verifying your details, an OTP will be sent to your registered mobile number
- Enter the OTP to activate your new password
- You will be able to activate it only when your KYC details are in sync with your EPF account.
Q. Can I check my balance using PAN?
Reply- PAN is not required. But, if you want tax deduction on your PF withdrawal, you must link your UAN with PAN.
Q. Is PF number is mandatory to check the balance?
Reply- No, it’s not. You need your UAN and password to log in to the EPF portal and check your balance.
Q. Can I check the balance of my previous EPF account?
Reply- EPFO has created the ‘one employee one EPF system’ which allows you to link your previous EPF account with the present one. All this information is available on your EPF account. After you log in to the EPF portal, you can select the Member ID of any of your previous companies for which you wish to check epf balance online. Your desired information will be displayed on your screen.
Q. Can I check the balance if I don’t have my registered mobile number with me?
Reply- There are two important criteria to check the EPF balance in the EPFO login portal. First, you must be an active member of EPFO. Second, you must have a registered mobile number at your disposal. All the information related to your EPF account will be shared with you on this number.