How to Link PAN Card with Aadhaar Card? | 2021
As per the current laws, it is compulsory to link PAN with the Aadhaar number. Further, it is compulsory to quote your Aadhaar number when you file an income tax return, apply for a new PAN, and wish to avail of monetary advantages from the government like pension, LPG subsidy, scholarship, etc.
If you do not link your PAN with your Aadhaar, perhaps, your PAN will become inoperative very soon as stated in the guidelines issued by the Government of India. You won’t be able to use your PAN to carry out the financial activities wherever PAN is mandatory like the opening of a new bank account, etc.
And all of us are well aware, most of the government works associated with the public ask for Aadhaar or PAN mandatorily. Therefore, let’s not do so late and get to know, how you can link your PAN with Aadhaar.
For Registered Users of Income Tax e-Filling Portal
If you are a direct taxpayer, chances are that your PAN is already linked with Aadhaar if you have mentioned it previously while filing Income Tax Return in the past assessment years. To check your PAN Aadhar Link Status, follow the below stated steps:
- Visit the official portal of Income Tax e-Filling.
- Visit the log-in page.
- Key in your user ID, password, and date of birth. (Your PAN is your user ID)
- Click on ‘Link Aadhaar’ from the Menu Bar.
- The screen will show the message, 'Your PAN is already linked to Aadhaar Number XXXX'.
If the message does not appear, follow the subsequent steps to link your PAN with Aadhaar:
- Visit ‘Profile Settings’ from Menu Bar and click on ‘Link Aadhaar’.
- Data like your name, date of birth, and gender will already be filled according to the PAN.
- Verify your PAN details on screen with the ones stated on your Aadhaar.
- If the details match, input the Aadhaar number.
- Click on the “link now” option.
- A pop-up message will appear on your screen prompting that your Aadhaar has been successfully linked to your PAN.
You may also visit the official portal of the UTI Infrastructure Technology and Services Ltd (UTIITSL) or National Securities Depositories Ltd (NSDL) to link your PAN and Aadhaar.
*Note: If there is a mismatch, you will have to get the same corrected in either of the documents.
For Unregistered Users of Income Tax e-Filling Website
If you do not want to register yourself at the Income Tax e-Filing portal, there is another way using which you can link PAN and Aadhaar. A link has been given at the homepage of the Income Tax e-filing portal. Linking Aadhar with PAN is quite easy without registering on the Income Tax Website, simply follow the below steps:
- Click on the 'Link Aadhaar' option on the e-filing website.
- Enter essential details (PAN, Aadhaar number, Name as per Aadhaar).
- If your Aadhar card has only a year of birth, then tick the option stating 'I have the only year of birth in the Aadhaar card'.
- Enter the captcha code.
- Click on the ‘Link Aadhaar’ submit button.
Once submitted successfully, a message will display on the screen prompting ‘Your PAN is successfully linked to Aadhaar Number XXXX'.
Other Methods to Link Aadhar with PAN
If you are not able to carry out PAN linking with Aadhaar using the Income Tax e-filing portal then there are 2 other ways for linking PAN and Aadhaar. Let’s get to know about them!
You can link PAN and Aadhaar by writing and sending a simple SMS. You can send an SMS to any of the PAN service providers viz. NSDL or UTIITL.
You can simply write and send an SMS in a specific format to 567678 or 56161. Draft a message in the following format:
UIDPAN <Your Aadhaar Number> <Your PAN>
For instance, if your Aadhaar No. is 4444 3333 2222 1111 and PAN is ABCDE1111F, then you need to send SMS to 567678 or 56161 as UIDPAN 4444333322221111 ABCDE1111F.
There are no charges levied by any of the PAN authorities. Even though, SMS charges will be levied as applicable to you as per your mobile operator’s package for you.
Manual PAN Aadhar Linking
There is also a manual method to ease the problems of taxpayers in case the person is not able to solve the issue of mismatch in the data of PAN and Aadhaar via the aforementioned methods.
Unlike online services, service via this method is not free. You will need to pay a preset fee. The fee is levied based on the correction carried out in the PAN or Aadhaar data at the time of linking both identities. The fee is levied of Rs. 110. And Rs. 25 for any correction in the PAN details and Aadhaar details respectively. Follow the below-stated steps to carry out PAN linking with Aadhar:
- Visit the nearest service center of PAN service provider viz. NSDL or UTIITSL.
- Ask for and fill in the form 'Annexure-I'.
- Attach the required documents, i.e., a copy of the PAN card and Aadhaar card.
- Pay the service fee and submit.
Moreover, biometric authentication is mandatory if there is a major mismatch in the information of PAN and Aadhar.
Important Points to Know Before Linking Aadhar with PAN
We considered the following things might stand out to be important to many people while linking Aadhar and PAN, therefore, stating them below:
- If you opt for the online method to link your Aadhaar with PAN, an Aadhaar OTP will be generated just in case your name mentioned in Aadhaar Card doesn’t match with the name mentioned on your PAN Card whereas your date of birth and gender matches.
- It is suggested that if there is a mismatch in the information of your PAN and Aadhaar, you get it corrected prior to trying to link the two identities.
With the aforementioned steps, you can perform Aadhar linking with PAN seamlessly and avoid the deactivation of your PAN. Moreover, if you are looking to Link Your Aadhar Card with Mobile Number, read this special blog of ours to do that too quickly and smoothly.