EPFO or Employee Provident Fund Organization is an organization that looks after the provident fund schemes formulated by the government of India. This organization is under the administrative control of the Ministry of Labour and Employment, Government of India and is assisted by the Central Board of the trustee.
EPFO has now come up with a digital platform which makes applying for withdrawal and tracking of your PF status very easy. This platform can be accessed using user id and password, which you can create yourself. The complete guide on how to login the EPFO portal and track your PF details is mentioned below.
How to Login to EPFO Member Portal?
One can log in to the EPFO member portal very quickly, once the account is activated using the user id and password. The following steps will guide you through it:
- Begin with the opening of the EPF portal
- Fill in the details mentioned on the registration page.
- During the registration process, make sure that you add the correct details, as later; you will be using the same information to log into the portal.
- Once you have completed the registration process, you can now log on to the portal.
- While logging in you will prompt to answer whether you want to login using your PAN, so, if you have registered using PAN card, then you need to select PAN number from the ‘Select Any One Document’ and enter your PAN Card number.
- Make sure you cross check all the details before getting a PIN
- Once you are done, you will get an authorization PIN.
- Enter the authorization PIN, and you will be registered on the portal.
The above steps will help in opening the member portal by entering specific details like address, name, mobile number, document types and once this is done, you can download the EPF Passbook from the website.
An important point to note while logging on to the EPF member portal is that you must have the 12-digit UAN (Universal Account Number). This unique number is present on your payslip.
Every employee is allotted with only one UAN number in his/her entire lifetime. Once you have got the UAN number, you can activate your account on the EPF member portal and log in using this number.
You must have activated UAN number to log in the EPF account.
Login into the EPFO UAN Account
The following steps will help you with the entire process:
1. Start by opening the EPFO website. You can click on this link for the same: Click Here
2. Once you have clicked on this link, you will see the login page. Enter the UAN number and password that you received when you were activating the UAN number.
3. Enter the captcha in the box.
4. Click the enter button and submit it.
5. You will be logged in to your EPF account.
What happens if I forget the password?
It is possible that you might forget the UAN account password. One can reset the password of the EPF portal by following the steps mentioned below:
- You can recover the password by clicking on the forget password to which is present below the login option.
- You will be able to access this information only when your KYC details are integrated with the EPF account.
- So make sure that you complete the formalities.
- Submit the basic details and send an OTP to the registered mobile number
- Enter this OTP to activate your account
How to Check EPF Balance?
As mentioned earlier, employees can now check their EPF statement whenever they want without waiting for their employer to furnish the details at the end of the year. The process of checking of EPF balance can be done using both online and offline methods.
Online methods of checking the EPF balance:
- EPF Portal
- Umang app on mobile
The offline methods include the following:
- Missed call service
How to Check the EPF Balance Online?
- Checking the EPF balance on the EPF Portal
If you are a member of EPFO portal, then you can check your PF balance by logging into this account. For this, you need to visit the official website of the EPFO or Employees’ Provident Fund Organization (EPFO). Follow these steps for seamless access:
1. Go to official website : Check Here
2. Go to OUR SERVICE section, and from the drop-down menu, you need to choose FOR EMPLOYEES. Once you select this option, you will be redirected to
3. Again click on FOR EMPLOYEES
4. From the service, menu chooses MEMBER PASSBOOK. Once you have selected this option, you will be redirected to the login page for your passbook. If you want to skip all these steps, you can directly click on this link, and you will be on the logging page of your member's passbook. - Login
5. Login using with UAN and password.
6. Once you have logged in, you will find Member IDs of all the EPF linked an account with your UAN, in simple words its one employee one EPF.
7. Choose the member ID to check the passbook.
8. Once you have clicked the member ID of the EPF account for which you want to check the balance, the passbook will be displayed on the screen in front of you.
While checking the EPF balance, you need to remember the following points:
- You can access this part of the EPFO portal only when you have an activated UAN number and you are registered on the UAN Member Portal.
- In case you make any modifications on the website, the same will reflect within 6 hours of making the changes.
- The passbook will have the latest entries that have been reconciled by the EPFO field offices.
- Members who are exempted and members of inappropriate account shall not be able to view their passbook on the EPFO website. If there has been no contribution to your EPF account in the last three years or more, the account will become inoperative.
- Umang App
EPFO has come with Umang App which is single-click way to get access to all the information related to the EPFO account.
- You can download this app from the Google PlayStore or App Store. -
- With the help of this app, you can access the EPFO account on the go.
- You can check the information related to balance, and you can also download the passbook using this app.
Here is how you go about using the Umang App-
1. Begin with downloading the Umang App from Play Store or App store. In case you directly want to access this app, click on this link: Downloand Umang App
2. Once you have downloaded the Umang app, open the app and select EPFO.
3. Now Click on the “Employee Centric Services”
4. Now click on the VIEW PASSBOOK and check the EPF balance here.
5. Now you need to enter the UAN Id and then click on the GET OTP. Once you choose this option, you will have OTP sent to your registered mobile number.
6. Enter the OTP and click on the login.
7. Choose the member ID of the company for which you want to check the EPF balance
8. You will have the entire information displayed in front of you.
How to Check the EPF Balance Offline
If you are not well-versed with the digital medium of EPF balance check and want to go with the offline methods, then you can follow these steps:
1. Check the EPF balance using SMS
Make sure that you use the registered mobile number when you send the message for EPF balance check. You need to send the following message to 7738299899.
- The format of the SMS should be-
EPFOHO UAN ENG
Say your UAN is 123456789101 and you would like to receive a message in the English, then your message should be EPFOHO 123456789101ENG. The language code is going to be the first three letter of your preferred language. If it is English, then the language code will be ENG if your preferred style is Hindi, then the language code is HIN
- EPFO is available in the following languages:
An important point to note here is that you must have active UAN with Bank Account, Aadhaar card, and PAN to access the information on your EPFO account. In case you have not synced your UAN with PAN card, Aadhaar card or PAN, then you need to first complete the formalities with UAN, and only then you would be able to access the information on the EPFO portal.
b) Checking EPF Balance by Miss Call
This is by far the easiest way to check the EPF balance. All you need to do is give a miss call on 011-22901406, and you will have access to all the required information. But before that, you must know about the following:
1. Activated UAN is a must to get information from your EPFO portal
2. Your mobile number must be registered with UAN
3. Make sure that you give the missed call using the registered mobile number or else you would not be able to receive the information.
4. The UAN account must be linked with Aadhaar card, PAN card, and Bank account.
How can you transfer the EPF balance to a new account?
EPF has made its functioning fairly simple. You don’t need to have separate EPF account for a separate company. You can link all your EPF account at one place. In case you switch the job and want to withdraw EPF and transfer it to the current EPF account or the person can withdraw the EPF balance. It’s always good to transfer the EPF balance rather than removing as it may put you under the brunt of the tax, in case your employment period is less than five years.
Online Procedure for Withdrawal
One needs to activate the UAN and register on the UAN member portal. Here you will have access to withdrawal claim. You can choose between the partial or complete withdrawal of your EPF balance.
An important point to note here is that if your PAN number is linked with UAN, and if you plan to withdraw money before five years of service with the current employer, then you will fall in the tax slab. 10% of TDS will be deducted. If PAN is not linked, then you need to pay a heavy tax. 34.6% of TDS will be deducted from the EPF amount that you are withdrawing.
The crux of the matter is that you must make sure that UAN is seeded with PAN card, Aadhaar card, and bank account. This will simplify the process of application and approval.
About EPFO Member Portal
The primary objective of coming up with a digitized platform is to make the process of EPF checking easy. There is no need for an individual to wait for year-end EPF receipt to get to know the current balance. If you are a member of the EPFO portal, you can log in the portal any time and access the required information. You will also get a message on your phone regarding your passbook.
Different services offered by EPFO:
⏩ Employee Provident Fund Scheme, 1952
As per this scheme, any organization is having the work strength of 20 or more employees will fall in this scheme. After retirement, the employee will get the total amount. In this scheme, both the employee and the employer contribute to the scheme. The contribution is 12% of the gross monthly income that the employee gets.
⏩ Employee Pension Scheme, 1995
As per this scheme, the contribution is made by the employer and the government and is based on the salary of the employee. The monetary benefit is delivered in the form of pension as long as the employee is alive and after his/her death, the benefit is rendered to the spouse and two children, condition being that the children should be less than 25 years of age.
⏩ Employee Deposit Linked Insurance Scheme, 1976
This insurance plan is extended to employees covered under the Employees’ Provident Fund (EPF) and the Employees’ Pension Scheme (EPS). As per this scheme, the money will be paid to the family members of the employee or the nominee after the death of the registered employee.
⏩ Services under EPFO Member Portal
When you become a member of the EPFO portal, then you get access to a wide array of services. This portal renders services to employers, employees, pensioners and international workers as well.
⏩ Services for Employers
If you are an employer and a member of the EPFO portal, then you get the following services:
- One can submit the challan and ECR
- You can register your organization online
- Search facility for TRRN query
- Grievance registration process
- UAN dashboard
- The employer can add details about the outsource work and contractors
⏩ Services for Employees
There are two social security schemes which EPFO offers its employees. The EPFO offers three social security schemes to employees who work in the registered organizations and establishments. The employee gets the following facilities under this:
- You get access to member passbook
- Find out your claim status
- Online grievance management
- Portal for pensioners
- Helpdesk for inoperative pensioners
⏩ EPFO’s Pensioners Portal
EPFO has a specific segment for pensioners. In this one gets access to various services like the following:
Jeevan Pramaan Enquiry
Know Your PPO Number
PPO Enquiry or Payment Enquiry
⏩ EPFO for International Workers
The best part about EPFO portals that it is beneficial even for the international workers. They can use this portal to check their PF status and manage the PF systematically. This is possible because of an agreement between different nations and the Government of India. This has been done so that the employee of the domestic country is not required to remit their contribution to a particular country. It helps the employees working in a foreign nation to enjoy the benefit of the totalisation period which eventually helps in fixing the eligibility of pension.
The EPFO provides the Certificate of Coverage to Indian employees who work in foreign nations.
The nations which are functioning as SSA or Social Security Assistant:
⏩ One Employee - One EPF Account
There is no need to have different EPF account. You can combine all the EPF accounts. One can do this by combining their previous EPF accounts. You can achieve this by moving the funds from the previous EPF accounts to the current EPF account which is connected to the UAN or Universal Account Number. So there is no need to manage different accounts. With just one account, you can manage all your funds.
Being an EPF member enables you to transfer the funds from your previous accounts to your current account by using the one employee-one EPF account drive with your UAN. One can also transfer the fund using the Online Transfer Claim Portal (OTCP).
⏩ EPFO UAN Help Desk
EPFO renders round the clock customer support. The portal has a separate segment dedicated to customer service. The member can go to the help-desk portal and provide the details like Aadhaar number, PAN and other details. You can use this segment to get complete assistance with almost all EPF and UAN related issues.
⏩ Employers Login on EPFO
There is a separate segment for employers to log in. It helps them transfer claims and handle all the PF-related issues using this part of the EPFO portal. The process of logging in is the same for the employers as that for the employees. Employers need to have UAN number, user ID and password that they got at the time of activation of the account.
What are the different features offered by the EPFO portal to the employers?
The employers can make use of this portal for the following:
Making ECR challan payment
EPF claims to handle
Creating EPF account employee
Approving EPF claims by the employees.
Now that you know how to login the account, the next important question that arises is how do I check the PF balance? Well, digitalization has made it easy for the employees to check their PF status online without waiting for the entire year for the receipt. Every month, the employer transfers the amount to your EPF account.
You can keep a check on this by accessing your EPF passbook online. This passbook showcases the total amount in the EPF account along with details like a monthly contribution by the employer. Some amount is deposited in the Employees’ Pension Scheme which reflects separately in the EPS column.
1. Is UAN necessary to check the EPF balance?
Yes, having UAN is a must to check the balance. You will be required to provide the UAN for processing.
2. Is PF number required to check the EPF balance?
No, you would not need this. All you need is UAN and password to check the balance.
3. Can I check the balance using PAN?
Well, PAN is not required to check the balance, but you must link the UAN with PAN to avoid tax deduction in case you wish to withdraw PF.
4. If I don’t have my registered mobile number with me, can I check the EPF balance?
The first criteria to check the EPF balance is that you must have an active EPF membership. Secondly, you must have a registered mobile number with you. This is important because all the information related to your EPF account will be sent to this number.
5. Can I check my previous account EPF balance?
EPFO has created one employee one EPF system which lets you link the previous EPF account with the current one, and all this information is accessible on your EPF account. Once you login to the portal, you can choose the Member ID of the company for which you want to check the EPF, and you will have the information displayed in front of you.
Read More :