What is UAN, and what is its significance?
UAN stands for Universal Account Number, it is a 12-digit number allotted to the employees/members by the Employees’ Provident Fund Organisation for uniform processing of various services that they offer to members. UAN is designed in a way that a person only requires to provide its UAN for all kinds of correspondence regarding the services like Employees’ Provident Fund, Employee Pension Scheme and the Employee Deposit Linked Insurance Scheme. It acts as a pivot for an employee as it provides flexibility, the employees can switch jobs without worrying about updating their member id every time they move from one job to another.
With just the Universal Account Number (UAN), one can access services like;
- UAN Card (Issued by EPFO, contains details of an Employee)
- PF Passbook Update, including transfer details
- Linking new Member ID with previous ones
- Monthly SMS services regarding credit of contribution
- Facility to auto-trigger transfer request on change of employment
How did UAN come into existence?
In the older days, whenever a person joined a company registered under the EPFO, they were provided with a new PF account number even if in case they already had one. Thus, with time, it became uneasy & troublesome for members to keep a track of all the activities going with their previous and current accounts, in order to curtail all the confusion and complexity associated with it, EPFO launched a single-window solution with the UAN as its pivot.
With the help of this number, the record-keeping and extraction of varied information became convenient and all the information related to accounts of members from various companies can be managed at one place. Nonetheless, the transfer of funds from one account to another and the disbursement process in case of a withdrawal also became easy and swift, for both the organisation and the members.
How to activate UAN?
Now, as we are already aware of the significance of the UAN and how vital it is for an employee, here we will be unfolding details related to UAN Activation. The process of activation & registration is very simple and involves the following steps:
- You need to visit the EPF Member Portal
- On this portal, you are required to activate the UAN by clicking on the Activate UAN option
- After that, you will be required to provide information about UAN, mobile number, email ID, PAN card, Aadhaar card, DOB etc
- Now you need to click on the Get Authorization PIN; the PIN will be sent to your registered mobile number. Hence you are required to have the registered mobile number with you
- Now enter the PIN and verify the request
- Herein you need to create User ID and Password
The EPF Member Portal
Once you have created the login ID and password, you need to log in to the portal using the same; the portal gives you access to the following facilities:
- Download UAN card and passbook
- View member’s ID
- Check the status whether or not the new PF account has been linked
- Status of transferred claim
- File claim or complaint
- Editing email id and phone number
- Helpdesk information
- Updating of KYC information.
Now, Generate your UAN directly with EPFO
According to a recent development, the Ministry of Labour & Employment & the Employees Provident Fund Organization, have taken a step further to ensure that the employees working for various Government and Private Organizations are not required to be at the employer’s disposal regarding the issuance and transfer of their Universal Account Number (UAN) and its belongings.
With this new advancement, now an employee can apply for their UAN online on EPFO website, which would ensure their entitlement for the Provident Fund, Employees’ Pension Scheme and Life Insurance services provided by the EPFO throughout their life with various organizations.
In addition to this, EPFO has integrated with the National E-Governance Division (NeGD) for a depository named DigiLocker – where over 65 Lakh pensioners can now download their pension-related documents (PPOs) for a hassle-free, single-window paperless system to be kept in place.
In a bid to keep the growing compliance issues in check, the organization has also provided an additional E-Inspection feature in the user login account, where one can report mal-practices or unpaid dues as well as closure of one’s business entity, which will ultimately prevent atrocities on employees.
How to Log in to your EPF UAN Account?
The following steps will help you with the entire process:
- You can visit the EPFO website directly by clicking on this link Login EPFO
- After you land on the page, you can use the dialog box to enter the UAN number and password you received after activating the UAN number
- Enter the captcha in the box
- After you click the submit button, you will be directed to the Account’s home page
- On the home page, you can explore various actions available for the user account
Benefits of Universal Account Number (UAN)
The introduction of the UAN has been a key in maintaining and keeping individual records without much hassle. Here, we have gathered some major benefits of having an UAN number:
- It helps in tracking the change of job of any employee
- Once can link new PF account with the help of UAN and the information will get automatically updated in the EPFO records
- One can easily access the UAN facilities online – transfer or withdraw funds when one changes the job
- Single-point management of different PF accounts of a member
- Lesser employer involvement when it comes to withdrawing the PF
It makes the entire process of PF transfer easy. For example, if someone has switched the job, then all they need to do is to provide the new employer with the UAN number and KYC details and the new PF can be linked to the old one, or money can be transferred from the old PF account to the new one.
Once you have successfully registered at the UAN portal, you can access the PF information using SMS services.
Documents required for availing UAN number
- Account information: Valid account number, IFSC code and bank branch name.
- ID proof: Any Driving license/ passport/ voter ID/ Aadhaar card/ SSLC book
- Address proof: Any of utility bills/ rental & lease agreement/ ration card, etc. in the subscriber’s name that has the same address as mentioned on application.
- PAN card: The PAN should be linked to the UAN.
- Aadhaar card: Aadhaar Card is mandatory and should be linked with mobile number and bank account.
- ESIC card