As mentioned earlier, employees can now check their EPFO claim status whenever they want without waiting for their employer to furnish the details at the end of the year. The process of checking the EPFO member balance can be executed using both online and offline methods.
How to Check the EPFO Member Balance Online?
Now, you can check you EPF balance quite easily and without any hassle by just logging on to the EPF Portal.
If you are already a member of the EPFO portal, then you can check your Provident Fund member balance by logging into your account. For this, you need to visit the official website of the EPFO or Employees’ Provident Fund Organization (EPFO). Follow these steps for seamless access:
- Go to EPFO official website: Click Here
- Go to the OUR SERVICES section, from the drop-down menu, you would require to choose FOR EMPLOYEES. Once you select this option, you will be redirected to the Member e-SEWA page
- The e-SEWA page acts like a dashboard for further actions, where you can choose to login for the account summary or for PF passbook services only
- You can choose Member Passbook Service. After selection, you will be redirected to the login page for your passbook. Save yourself some time, you can directly click here and visit the passbook page
- Login using with UAN and password
- Once you have logged in, you will find all your Member IDs linked to your account through UAN
- Choose the member ID to check the passbook
- Once you have clicked the member ID of the EPF account for which you want to check the balance, the EPFO passbook will be displayed on the screen in front of you
While checking the EPF balance, you need to remember the following points:
- You can only access the passbook facility on EPFO portal when you have an activated UAN number and you are registered on the UAN Member Portal
- In case you make any modifications to your account, the same will reflect within 6 hours of making the changes
- The EPFO member passbook will have latest to oldest entries that have been reconciled by the EPFO field offices
- Members who are exempted and members of inappropriate accounts shall not be able to view their passbook on the EPFO website
- Kindly note, if there has been no contribution to your EPF account in the last three years or more, the account will become inoperative
In order to benefit from this feature, a member is required to be registered with the unified member portal. The registration is being done through the UAN, only after it is activated. One can also Download e-Passbook from the portal. The steps to accessing the EPFO e-Passbook are as given below –
- Log on to the EPF Portal
- Click on the ‘Our Services’ tab and select ‘For Employees’
Once redirected to the ‘Employee Member Services’ page, select ‘Member Passbook
- Now, on the EPFO e-Passbook login page, enter your UAN and password
- In the next window, you will find the option to view & download e-Passbook from this page
United Mobile Application for New-age Governance
This unique application has been created keeping the idea of new India in mind. It is the outcome of a combined initiative taken by the Ministry of Electronics & Information Technology (MEITY) and the National e-Government Division (NeGD), to provide a single platform to the citizens of our country.
The UMANG allows its users to access all government related services on a single platform, whether they are offered by the Central Government, the State or any Regional government body.
Central Government’s EPFO is one of the organisations that provide their services over this app through the introduction of an in-built app directory known as the DigiLocker in collaboration with the NeGD, which is projected to cater almost over 1 Crore pensioners and registered members of the EPFO.
It is also expected that over 65 Lakh pensioners can now download their pension related documents (PPOs) with DigiLocker, a single window paperless system kept in place.
Here is how you go about using the Umang App –
One can begin with downloading the Umang App from the Play Store or from the Apple App Store. In case, if you directly want to access this app, click on this link: Download Umang App
How to use EPFO services on the UMANG APP?
UMANG as a service can be downloaded for all major platforms like Web, Mobile App, SMS & IVR and can easily be accessed on tablets, smartphones, feature phones and desktop computers.
Here is how you can integrate your EPFO account through the UMANG app, kindly read the steps that follow –
- Once you have downloaded the Umang app, open the app and select EPFO
- Now Click on the “Employee Centric Services”
- Now click on the VIEW PASSBOOK and check the EPF balance here
- Now you need to enter the UAN Id and then click on the GET OTP. Once you choose this option, you will have OTP sent to your registered mobile number
- Enter the OTP and click on the login
- Choose the member ID of the company for which you want to check the EPF balance
- You will have the entire information displayed in front of you
How to Check the EPFO Member Balance Offline?
If in case a person is not well-versed with the digital options of EPF balance check and want to go with the offline methods, then you can follow these steps:
✅ Check the EPF balance using SMS
Make sure that the mobile number you are going to use is supposed to be the registered mobile number from which you will be required to send a text message for EPF balance check.
You need to send the following message to 7738299899 and the format of the SMS should be – EPFOHO UAN ENG
Let’s suppose that your UAN is 104325678910 and you would like to receive a message in english, then the text should be EPFOHO 123456789101ENG.
The language code is going to be the first three letter of your preferred language. If it is English, then the language code will be ENG if your preferred language is Hindi, then the language code is HIN.
Here is a list of languages with their respective code to help you decide your choice of language available on EPFO:
- Marathi – MAR
- Gujarati – GUJ
- Punjabi – PUN
- Malayalam – MAL
- Kannada – KAN
- Bengali – BEN
- Telugu – TEL
- Tamil – TAM
✅ Checking EPF member Balance by a missed call
An important point to note here is that you must have an active UAN with the running Bank Account, Aadhaar card, and PAN to access the information on your EPFO account.
This is by far the easiest way to check the EPF balance. All you need to do is give a missed call on 011-22901406, and you will have access to all the required information. But before that, you must be aware about the following:
- Activated UAN is a must to get information from the portal by logging into your EPF account
- Your mobile number must be registered with the respective UAN accounts
- Kindly make sure that you give a missed call using the registered mobile number or else you would not be able to receive any information from the portal
- The UAN account must be linked with Aadhaar card, PAN card and the savings bank account
How to login into the EPFO and transfer the EPF balance to a new account?
EPFO has seen a major revamp in their service quality and increased user accessibility in the recent years and in turn made its functioning fairly simple. With the advent of UAN, now a person does not need to have separate EPF accounts for every company they have worked for in the past.
All the users are now provided with a portal where they can link all their existing EPF accounts under one head. So, if you have switched jobs recently and want to withdraw your EPF and transfer it to another account, it is easier than never before. One can also avail the opportunity to withdraw the EPF balance but it’s always good to transfer the EPFO balance rather than removing as it may put you under the brunt of the tax, in case your employment period is less than five years.
✅ Online Procedure for Withdrawal
For all the services that are being provided online, EPFO requires that the person must contain an activated UAN and be registered on the UAN member portal. To gain access to one’s withdrawal claims, one would require to log in using their UAN member account where you can choose between the partial or complete withdrawal of your EPF balance.
However, one needs to be aware that before you apply for a withdrawal from your PF account, your PAN must be linked to your UAN member account. If your PAN is not linked, then you need to pay a whopping 34.6% of the entire withdrawal amount under tax deduction at source policy of the government.
The crux of the matter is that you must make sure that UAN is seeded with PAN card, Aadhar card, and bank account. This will simplify the process of application and approval.
✅ About EPFO Claim Status
EPFO enables all its members including the employees and the employers to check their EPF claim status through its online portal and also from offline sources. At a time, when a member applies for a claim or withdrawal from their PF deposit, they are required to submit Form 19, duly filled with all the respective details. However, once the application gets submitted successfully, one required to log in to their account through the online portal to check the current status of the application. The details required by the member to check their claim status are as follows:
- Company or employer details
- Employee’s EPF Regional Office
- Extension code for the account
- UAN or Universal Account Number
✅ About EPFO Login Member Portal
The primary objective of coming up with a digitized platform is to make the process of EPF checking easy. There is no need for an individual to wait for year-end EPF receipt to get to know the current balance. If you are a member of the EPFO portal, you can log in the portal any time and access the required information. You will also get a message on your phone regarding your passbook.